Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Story Tellers Daughter conclusion


The Storytellers Daughter
Saira Shah

I went out of my comfort zone with this one, going completely different from everything that I normally pick out for myself. I have read stories of war before but they were older and war was written about differently, the pictures were blurry, the details glazed over to make it more story book like. Not this one. I have been awed by this book since the beginning.

The book itself is divided into 3 books, or journals i guess as she kept them. Aside from the books acknowledgements one book starts and another has ended the writing is seamless and flows right into the next book.

In my brief comments about this book I said that she took you with her on her travels, its not just you reading her account of what happened she has a way of placing you next to her as she walks through war torn areas, going days with out eating and everything else she goes through.

I still stand by that.
The last portion of the book was definitely the hardest, by the time you reach that part you yourself feel you belong in Afghanistan and you want to do something to help.

Definitely a moving book.
One that makes me curious how the world would change if more people read it and (really) understood it.

No comments: