Thursday, December 31, 2009

Brain Wave and Leviathan Completion

Brain Wave

For 1954 it was well thought out and written. It gave you something to think about while keeping the pages turning. Not all books that are that old can do that.

Brain wave, is one of those light books that you're glad you read but you will likely not feel the real need to read again. But with that said its also not one of those books that you are soon to forget.

I found the ending to get a bit slower and fizzle out.. I was told that there was a big climax at the end but honestly now looking back, its just a sign that, my definition of an amazing book and his are likely not the same.

In my good reads review I gave it 5 stars because it deserved it, for effort, for giving me a bit to think about, for keeping the pages turning and being something I can appreciate.
I know, had i been around to read the book when it was written it would have had a much bigger impact.

It turned out to be a well timed read because it was the less serious book i needed to get me ready to start my book challenge reads and some of those are a lot more intense.
So it was a good way to prepare.

I'd recommend Brain wave, definitely for anyone looking for something light and fast.

Leviathan - Scott Westerfeld

I found out about this book when it was, all the rage all over the internet. Anyone with any interest in Steampunk was babbling about this book.
So I had to read it just to see.

It was well thought out, and a lot of detail had gone into this creation.
It was pretty amazing when you look at how the Darwinists compared to the Machinists especially in the ending of the book.

Which is I think why i found the ending to be so sadly disappointing.
Someone wanted a book two, so to do that they just kinda dropped the entire book off a cliff and that is the ending you got.

Honestly, it ruined the whole thing for me.
I was already lacking in stars to give this book just because it gave me the impression it was written for someone much younger.
The detail was there, the potential was there but it seemed just too... "fluffy" not enough steampunk I guess.

Yes, the characters are kids but that doesn't mean it has to be written for kids when you look at the time period thats being re-written using their alternative history.

While I don't regret buying it, or reading it, if i decide to read book two whenever it comes out, I won't be buying it if I can help it.
If my local library doesn't carry it then I intend to get comfortable on the floor inside chapters for a couple days and read my way though.
It is just not something I can justify spending money on when there are so many others that I can.

(And have to sort through the books i got now to sell to buy more and make some room lol)

No comments: